Nov. 19, 2018- Throughout the year, the Corinth Corner series highlights those in our district who help our students reach their fullest potential. It is a chance for the Corinth community to get to know our teachers, administrators, and staff on a more personal level. View previous Corinth Corners here.
Ms. Jennifer Crave is in her third year as a school counselor and licensed mental health counselor in the Corinth Central School District, where she currently works in the Oak Street campus counseling office. Ms. Crave previously worked as a mental health counselor for an outpatient mental health provider in Albany for nine and a half years.
Ms. Crave currently resides in Niskayuna, however, she grew up in Albany and graduated from Albany High School. Her first three years of undergraduate was spent at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts and then she transferred to the University of Albany where she graduated with a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's degree in school counseling. Additionally, she earned a degree in mental health counseling from Medaille College.
Learn more about Ms. Crave:
- What do you like most about working in the Corinth Central District?
I love working with the students and staff! I feel lucky to be able to work with students in both the middle and high school! I also feel very lucky to be able to bring my dog Toby to school with me each day.
- What do you like best about being a school counselor and licensed mental health counselor?
I appreciate that my job allows me to really get to know the individuals I work with. I feel lucky to be able to spend time connecting with people and watching them work towards achieving their goals.
- What is your favorite event that happens at Corinth?
I like all of the events that happen in Corinth. This is a close knit community and it is great to see how people work together and support each other.
- What is your favorite memory from your time in Corinth?
I have enjoyed all of my time in Corinth so far! I loved seeing the students who work on the Back Pack program featured on the news - they did an awesome job!
- What made you want become a school counselor and licensed mental health counselor?
Initially I thought I wanted to become a teacher. I completed a year of service through AmeriCorps where I worked with 5th grade students and saw there was a definite need for additional supports in the school. I learned about the different career options in school settings that support students and felt becoming a School Counselor was the job for me!
- When you were in high school, what did you want to be when you "grew up?"
When I was in high school I wanted to become either a teacher or a nurse.
- What is the most unusual job you've ever had?
I don't think I have had any really unusual jobs....yet!
- What would co-workers and students be surprised to know about you?
I have gone sky-diving! I also have four brothers and three sisters.
- What do you like to do in your free time?
I love to read, run, and spend time with my family.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
I would like to go to Thailand. I'd like to travel there, spend time with some of the elephants and enjoy the food.
- If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it?
I would pay off college loans for myself and my siblings, invest some money and donate to the things I am passionate about. I would also take a nice vacation with my family!
- What are the top three items on your "bucket list?"
I want to volunteer in the Peace Corp after I retire, travel the world, and get a motorcycle (I might need a side car for Toby).
- What are you currently reading/listening to/watching?
I am in a book club and read all the time. Currently, I am reading a spooky novel that was picked for the Halloween time of the year. I listen to NPR on my drive to work every day and then listen to all different podcasts on my drive home. I like listening to all different types of music as well.
- What are your favorite sports teams?
I am a Red Sox fan. I went to school in Boston during my Undergraduate time so it is hard not to love them when you live there.
- What is your favorite food?
My all time favorite food is rice! It has been since I was a young kid. I also like chicken marsala...yum!