Information from newsletters will also appear on the Counseling Office Blog - tomahawkscounselingcorner.blogspot.com
Senior Fall Newsletter - October 2018
We hope your senior year is off to a great start! We are just finishing up our meetings with seniors to review graduation requirements and discussing post graduation plans. If you have already started your college applications or have met with military recruiters and have questions, please don't hesitate to stop in to see us or schedule an appointment.
We will be blogging again this year in hopes of continuing to increase our communication with our students and families. Information in our blog throughout the year will keep you up-to-date on college and scholarship information. In 2018 our counseling blog was named on of the Top 60 Counseling Blogs by Feedspot.com! In addition to following our blog, please read/listen to the daily announcements, check the Counseling Office webpage for additional information, and be checking your school email daily as you all have Chromebooks now (www.corinthcsd.org - page is located under Support Services and/or the Corinth High School).
SAT and ACT Test Dates
The SAT and the ACT will be offered on the following dates. The cost of the SAT without the essay is $45 and with the essay is $57. The ACT has a basic fee of $42.50 with an optional writing test , cost with writing is $58.50. If the cost of these tests presents a hardship, you may be eligible for a fee waiver. Please check with your school counselor.
SAT Testing Information (register at: www.collegeboard.org)
Test Date (Registration Deadline)
- November 3rd^ (October 5th)
- December 1st (November 2nd)
- March 9th^ (February 8th)
- May 4th (April 5th)
- June 1st (May 3rd)
ACT Testing Information (register at: www.actstudent.org)
Test Date (Registration Deadline)
- October 27th (September 28th)
- December 8thh (November 2nd)
- February 9h* (January 11th)
- April 13th (March 8th)
- June 8th^ (May 3th)
- July 13th (June 14th)
^ Offered at CHS
* No test center in New York State
*** Regular SAT only no writing
College/Military Visits to the Counseling Office
- 9/18 – Fulton Montgomery CC, 1:00
- 9/18 – Six Flags, 11-12 *Lobby
- 9/20 – Utica College, 1:00
- 9/21 – Florida Institute of Technology, 10:00
- 9/24 – Sacred Heart University, 10:00
- 9/24 – Clarkson University, 1:00
- 9/25 – Univ. Of Mass. - Dartmouth, 10:00
- 9/25 – Elmira College, 1:00
- 9/27 – SUNY Geneseo, 1:00
- 9/28 – SUNY Brockport, 10:00
- 10/1 – SUNY Oswego, 1:00
- 10/4 – SUNY Buffalo, 1:00
- 10/9 – SUNY ALbany, 10:00
- 10/9 – Air Force, 11-12 *Lobby
- 10/12 – Alfred, 1:00
- 10/18 – SUNY Potsdam, 1:00
- 10/22 – SUNY Oneonta, 10:00
- 10/22 – SUNY Potsdam, 1:00
- 10/23 – Springfield College, 1:00
- 10/29 – University of Tampa, 1:00
- 10/30 – Dean College, 1:00
- 10/31 – Keuka College, 11:45
- 11/1 – SUNY Plattsburgh, 1:00
- 11/5 – Castleton University, 10:00
- 11/5 – Maine College of Art, 1:00
- 11/6 – Mount Saint Mary College, 10:00
College Application Week at CHS October 15th - 19th
Timeline for Applying to College
- September - October: Individual Senior Student appointments; Search/gather info from websites, catalogs, college reps; Set up college visits; create a Common Application account http://www.commonapp.org/
- September - December: Take/retake SAT’s/ACT’s; Ask teachers/employers for letters of recommendation
- October 1st: First date FAFSA forms can be completed (be sure to use the link to the FAFSA from the district webpage)
- October 4th: Fall College Night at SUNY Adirondack (6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.)
- October 11: Financial Aid Night (@ Hadley Luzerne HS 6:00 p.m.)
- October 26th: Instant Admission day with HVCC at 9:00am. **Please be advised you must see Mrs. Bill’s by 10/6 for an appointment**
- November 30th: Instant Admission Day here with SUNY Adirondack at 10:00am ** Please be advised you must see Mrs. Bill’s by 10/10 for an appointment**
- ^November: Submit CSS Profile application if required by school;Deadline for early decision applications
^Link to all schools who use the CSS Profile: https://profile.collegeboard.org/profile/ppi/participatingInstitutions.aspx
- ***Thanksgiving Break: All applications completed and supporting documents submitted to your counselor****
- January - April: Responses from colleges/universities, complete local scholarship applications
- March - April: Receive financial aid packages from colleges
- May 1: Tuition deposit due at the college/university you plan to attend
NCAA Clearinghouse Information
If you expect to participate in athletics at a NCAA Division I or Division II college, you must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse. The website is www.ncaa.org. When you register online, please be sure to tell your counselor so your transcript can be sent.
Elks Foundation - 2018 Most Valuable Student Scholarship Contest: a scholarship opportunity available for students who demonstrate scholarship, leadership, and financial need. Applications are currently available online at enf.elks.org/mvs. Application deadline is November 15, 2018.
College Open Houses
SUNY Open Houses, check out the list of fall Open Houses to be held at SUNY campuses across the state at www.suny.edu/attend.
This year, students will be able to file their FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as early as October 1st. Please join us at Hadley Luzerne HS Auditorium at 6:00 pm on October 11th for an informational session on Financial Aid and the upcoming changes. We will be joined by Jessica Dixon, Financial Aid Counselor from SUNY Adirondack.
Keeping up to date on all the news during your Senior Year
If you would like to receive information and newsletters via email this year be sure that Mrs. Bills has your most up to date email addresses. Also be sure to check out the Counseling Office webpage on the district webpage!
Corinth High School Counseling Office
Please contact the Counseling Office if you have any questions.
- Mrs. Lynne Jenkins – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Miss Sayde Whitman – email@example.com
- Mrs. Chandice Bills – firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great year!