New York State Education Law gives you the right to information about how Corinth Central School District is safeguarding student and staff data.
Parents' Bill of Rights
The Corinth School District is committed to ensuring student privacy in accordance with local, state and federal regulations and district policies. To this end and pursuant to U.S. Department of Education (DOE) regulations (Education Law §2-d), the district is providing the following Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial or marketing purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record, including any student data maintained by the Corinth School District. This right of inspection of records is consistent with the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Under the more recently adopted regulations (Education Law §2-d), the rights of inspection are extended to include data, meaning parents have the right to inspect or receive copies of any data in their child’s educational record. The New York State Education Department (SED) will develop further policies and procedures related to these rights in the future.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the state is available for public review online. Parents may also obtain a copy of this list by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, N.Y. 12234.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to: Student Data Privacy Officer Roger Tripp, Corinth School District, 105 Oak Street, Corinth, NY 12822. (518) 654-9005, ext. 3453 or email@example.com. Complaints to SED should be directed to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234; the e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org. SED’s complaint process is under development and will be established through regulations from the department’s chief privacy officer, who has yet to be appointed.
More information is also available on the following websites:
- NYSED Data Privacy Resources
- Student Privacy Pledge
- New York State Education Department Parents Bill of Rights
- Education Law 2-D
- NYSED: Data Privacy FAQs
If at any time the district learns that student and/or teacher/principal data has been compromised, parents and guardians will be notified, and the data breach will be reported to the state Education Department. Parents who have concerns or complaints about data privacy or security may file a complaint by contacting Data Protection Officer Roger Tripp at email@example.com.